Last Updated on October 24, 2021 by Zara R.
Should you Refrigerate Bailey’s? It is a question that perhaps we have all asked ourselves. So if you have not done the test of leaving it out of the fridge, you should read this post until the end.
We have researched with our sommelier friends and food scientists colleagues, and we gathered valuable information for you about this topic. Ready to take some notes?
Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
Baileys was released in 1974 by R. A. Bailey & Co., in Dublin, Ireland. As of 2015, is the best-selling liqueur brand in the world. The company quoted:
Baileys® is the only cream liqueur that guarantees its taste for 2 years from the day it was made, opened or unopened, stored in the fridge or not when stored away from direct sunlight at a temperature range of 0-25 degrees centigrade.
Check out the next paragraphs to see all the ingredients and alcohol content in these bottles, as well as some other important information. You’ll understand that it’s very important to well store the bottles and the reason for this.
It’s liqueur, not liquor
When it comes to drinks like Baileys, it’s important to know that liquors and liqueurs are not the same thing. Liquors, also known as spirits, distilled beverages, or hard alcohol typically don’t have any sugar added to the final product. And often, with many liqueurs such as Irish Whiskey, scotch, and bourbon there are very specific processes regarding additives to the final product.
Likewise, liquor has a much higher alcohol content, we’re talking about a 40 to 50% by volume, these are used as a base. Meanwhile, liqueurs are characterized by the addition of sweetness, therefore they’re not considered to be used as a base.
Bailey’s Interesting Facts
- Let’s start by saying that more than 80 million bottles are produced and packaged each year at the Dublin facility and exported to 180 countries.
- At first, Baileys was created exclusively for women. They thought of it as a drink for girls or a womans’ drink, respectively.
- You may have no idea on this one… but Baileys annually uses more than 250 million liters of whole milk from 40,000 cows on 1500 farms! The milk arrives at baileys’ facilities in Dublin 36 hours after leaving the farms.
- In 2019, Baileys introduced Baileys Irish coffee creamers and canned cold brew coffee, both non-alcoholic.
- From 2015 to 2016, the brand showed a 1.59% increase in case sales and a 2.6% increase from 2017 to 2018, coming up with 7.1 million case sales in 2018.
- Moreover, it is used in various desserts such as cheesecakes, brownies, frozen yogurt, etc. You name it!
Do you know any other important fact about Baileys that you want to share with us? If so, please don’t forget to leave a comment in the comment box below.
In the meantime, let us give you the answers you were looking for.
Should you Refrigerate Baileys?
Does Bailey’s need to be refrigerated? Certainly, we realized that it can go bad after a long time despite being a dairy-containing product. Practically, no bacteria will grow in it if the alcohol concentration is high enough. But let us give you a few interesting facts about this.
Unopened bottles of Baileys can be kept either outside or in the fridge, but exposure to heat is unfavorable for them. This is why Baileys guarantees its delicious taste for a long time. Alcohol keeps the product from microbiological spoilage.
So how long does Baileys last once opened? As the company mentioned; undеr normal conditions оf ѕtоrаgе, Baileys has a ѕhеlf-lіfе of 24 months. Just make sure you keep an eye and a nose on it!
How can you tell if Baileys has gone Bad?
#1: The smell.
When you open the bottle and you notice it smells sour or unpleasant, it has likely gone bad.
#2: The appearance.
If you see a separation or coagulation, this sign indicates that your liquor has spoiled and should not be consumed. It becomes darker and much thicker when it starts to spoil.
Ingredients in Bailey’s Bottles
It was the first liquor to combine cream and alcohol, achieve its stability, and get out to market. The whiskey and cream are homogenized until emulsion.
So, what’s in it? The ingredients in Baileys liqueur are aged Irish whiskey, Irish dairy cream, cocoa, and vanilla. But not only that, continue reading.
Firstly, here you have the alcohol content in each bottle.
Alcohol Content in Each Bottle of Baileys
- Original Irish Cream – Alcohol content: 17%.
- Almande Dairy-Free – Alcohol content: 13%.
- Salted Caramel – Alcohol content: 17%.
- Strawberries and Cream – Alcohol content:17%.
- Espresso Crème – Alcohol content: 17%.
- Red Velvet – Alcohol content: 17%.
- Apple Pie – Alcohol content: 17%.
- Deliciously Light – Alcohol content: 16.1%.
- Vanilla Cinnamon – Alcohol content: 17%.
- Colada – Alcohol content: 17%.
- Minis – Alcohol content: 17%.
Did you notice that almost all bottles have the same alcohol percentage? Except for the light or dairy-free versions. This is because the only thing that changes is the taste, not the ingredients.
In addition, they also make variant flavors such as chocolate cherry, orange truffle, mint chocolate, vanilla cinnamon, coffee, and hazelnut. These bottles contain 17% of alcohol too.
Does Baileys have Preservatives?
Baileys also has a few more ingredients, which helps with its creamy consistency, color and also helps it to preserve better. These are the other ingredients you should know about:
- Sodium Citrate E331 as an acidity regulator. This ingredient buffers the product from getting damaged by acids that spillage produces.
- Mono and Diglycerides as emulsifiers. It keeps the fat from the stable cream in the emulsion.
- Caffeine as flavor.
- Caramel E150b for coloring.
Is there caffeine in Baileys?
Yes, but… it depends on the flavor. For example, the Original bottle has about 10 mg of caffeine per liter, so that’s like 0.3 mg in Bailey’s shot.
To Sum Up
You have bought a bottle of Baileys and want to enjoy it little by little. Well, you can go ahead and drink it directly with ice, which is called on the rocks, or use it as a mixer in shots, martinis, or with an Irish coffee, even with a hot chocolate or a creamy smoothie.
In conclusion to all this, make sure you always well-store your Irish cream the right way. That way you can enjoy it for another 2 years! And to be honest, it won’t last me that long, I’ll finish it before that happens. And I’m sure it won’t last that long for you either.