Last Updated on January 14, 2023
Which one is better, jam or fruit filling for the cake layer? Well, cake with fruit filling is not too sweet in comparison to jam. Because of this, it is an excellent pairing for many sweet desserts, especially cakes. It also helps to keep the balance of desserts so you can taste the other textures and flavors. On the other hand, jams have many preservatives which you do not need for cakes.
It is essential to know the kind of fruit filling you will use and whether it is sufficiently stable. Because if you don’t, there is a big possibility that the fruit filling will ooze out of the sides. In addition to that, the top layer will tend to move around. This is why it’s important to ensure to always choose the appropriate fruit filling for your cake. Let’s take a look at a cake with fruit filling.
Using Fruit Filling For Cake Layer
Essentially, you apply frosting by piping around the outer edge of the cake. Because of this, it acts as a dam to hold the fruit filling between the cake layers. In addition to that, you can add fresh fruit between the cake layers. Keep in mind that the fruit resumes ripening even when stored in the fridge. As a result, its juices will start to soak in the cake and it will need to be eaten quicker than other cakes.
What You Will Need: Cake With Fruit Filling
Ingredients for Fruit Filling for the Cake Layer
- 2 1/4 cups of strawberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup of water
- ⅛ tsp of kosher salt
Equipment for Fruit Filling for the Cake Layer
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Rubber spatula
Step by Step: Cake With Fruit Filling
Grab your fresh strawberries and wash each piece thoroughly. Then, make sure to hull the strawberries by removing the stalk and core. Afterward, chop the strawberries in equal sizes.
After that, on medium heat, fill your saucepan with half of the water. Allow to boil, then add the sugar. Constantly stir the sugar until it dissolves evenly.
Then, as you let the sugar dissolve, mash the strawberries using a fork or a potato masher.
In a mixing bowl, mix cornstarch and the remaining water, then stir. Afterward, pour the cornstarch mixture into the strawberries and stir well.
Then, pour the strawberry and cornstarch mixture into the saucepan. Cook on medium heat; you will notice that the mixture will begin to thicken and look glossy. Make sure that the cornstarch comes to a boil so that the consistency will turn transparent.
Try dipping a spoon and test if it is thick enough to coat the back. Doing this indicates if it is ready. After that, remove from heat, then allow to cool for a few minutes.
Grab a strainer and strain the fruit filling into a clean jar. Straining the mixture will remove all the fruit fibers to get a smooth consistency. But if you prefer to have chunks, you can opt not to strain them. Then, pour it into a clean jar. Lastly, keep refrigerated until needed.
Servings and Preparation Time
Tips and Tricks for Cake With Fruit Filling
First of all, it’s best paired with simple moist vanilla cakes. When making the filling, it would be best to use granulated white sugar because it dissolves easily. Also, it does not add any color. Also, consider the cake’s taste and make sure the fruit filling will complement it.
If fresh strawberries are unavailable, you can use frozen fruits but reduce the water. Always check if the fruits are sweetened so you can modify the sweetness. You can add a few tablespoons of hot water to modify the consistency if the cornstarch starts to thicken. You can also substitute the water for lemon juice, but only when the sugar dissolves.
Do not overcook the fruit filling because it will cause the cornstarch to become lumpy. You may need to add some water to have the right consistency. You can keep the filling at room temperature for a few hours safely. You can put it in the fridge for about a week and it can also be frozen for up to three months.
Additionally, never select a fruit filling that will melt at warm temperatures; especially at something like a summer picnic. Because of this, ensure that you store it in a cooler. Likewise, if the cake has to be made in advance, make sure the fruit filling will hold up for that length of time.
Cake With Fruit Filling: Amazing Recipe
- Chopping board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Grab your fresh strawberries and wash each piece thoroughly. Then, make sure to hull the strawberries by removing the stalk and core. Afterward, chop the strawberries in equal sizes.
- After that, in medium heat, fill your saucepan with half of the water. Allow to boil, then add the sugar. Constantly stir the sugar until it dissolves evenly.
- Then, as you let the sugar dissolve, mash the strawberries using a fork or a potato masher.
- In a mixing bowl, mix cornstarch and the remaining water, then stir. Afterward, pour the cornstarch mixture into the strawberries and stir well.
- Then, pour the strawberry and cornstarch mixture into the saucepan. Cook on medium heat; you will notice that the mixture will begin to thicken and look glossy. Make sure that the cornstarch comes to a boil so that the consistency will turn transparent.
- Try dipping a spoon and test if it is thick enough to coat the back. Doing this indicates if it is ready. After that, remove from heat, then allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Grab a strainer and strain the fruit filling to a clean jar. Straining the mixture will remove all the fruit fibers to get a smooth consistency. But if you prefer to have chunks, you can opt not to strain them. Then, pour into a clean jar. Lastly, keep refrigerated until needed.
Blackberry Filling For Cake Recipe
While strawberry and raspberry are the most popular fruit fillings, blackberry filling also makes a delicious alternative. To make this, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 7oz of blackberries
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Now all you need to do is:
- Add the fruit, lemon juice, salt, sugar, and 1/4 cup of water to a saucepan. Cook on medium heat and keep mixing until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Once dissolved, use a masher or a fork to mash the fruit.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cornstarch and the remainder of the water. Add to the blackberry mixture and turn the heat to low. Stir often throughout. Cook until the filling begins to thicken and becomes glossy in appearance. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- If you’d like the filling chunky, do not strain. If you like a smoother filling, pour through a sieve. Pour into a glass jar and leave to cool before sealing, or use immediately as your cake filling. Enjoy!
How to Make Cake With Fruit Filling: Recipe
Now you know how to make the filling, you may be wondering how to put the cake together, using the filling. Let’s take a closer look. This recipe is inspired by one from The Cookie Rookie. For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 cups of cake flour
- 8oz of butter
- 2/3 cup of coconut oil
- 2 1/4 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of egg whites
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1lb of fresh strawberries
- pre-made/bought frosting of your choice
- pre-made fruit filling of your choice (use one of our recipes above)
Now all you need to do is:
- Preheat your oven to 325F and line two cake pans with cooking spray and parchment paper. Before you begin, sift the flour.
- Grab a mixing bowl and add the following ingredients: butter, coconut oil, baking powder and soda, sugar, and salt. Mix on a low speed until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the egg whites gradually, mixing as you go. And then add both the vanilla extract and almond extract. Combine the cake batter. Be sure to scrape around the edges.
- Add the buttermilk and flour alternately in three stages, mixing until the batter is smooth. Scrape around the edges once more and keep mixing until ready.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans evenly and bake in the center of your preheated oven for around 40 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean once fully baked. Leave to cool. Once cool, cut each layer in half so you have 4 even layers.
- Place one cake layer onto a cake stand and add an even layer of frosting. Then add around a 1/2 inch layer of frosting on top of this around the edges of the cake only (this helps to keep the fruit filling safely). Add some of the fruit fillings and spread evenly. Repeat with the second and third cake layers.
- Add the final cake layer and top with frosting; you can also cover the sides of the cake with frosting too. Decorate the top of your cake with fresh strawberries and place it in the fridge until ready to eat. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
I hope this post has helped you to become more familiar with a cake with fruit filling, and how to make these delicious desserts. Do you have any tips or tricks when it comes to making a cake with fruit filling? If so, please feel free to let me know in the comments below. Sharing is caring!
Zarah is an experienced pastry chef whose creations have delighted countless customers. With a passion for baking, Zarah has developed a unique style that combines classic techniques with modern flavors. Her desserts are consistently crafted with the finest ingredients, and her attention to detail is evident in the stunning and delectable results. Zarah has a wealth of experience in the pastry kitchen, and loves to share her knowledge with others. Whether it is teaching a class or creating a custom cake for a special occasion, Zarah is committed to making sure every customer is satisfied.