Last Updated on January 14, 2023
Do you stop and wonder, “why does my cake dome on top?” If you do, you must discover the reasons and how to prevent the cake from doming. First of all, why do cakes dome? Essentially, it will have a dome up in the middle of every oven that is extremely hot. As a result, it will make the cake batter rise much more quickly.
Fellow bakers can indeed relate that it is difficult; especially seeing that the cake has a raised middle with low sides. That is why we’re here to help. So, how to prevent the cake from doming? Let’s take a closer look.
Why Do Cakes Dome?
There are two major reasons why your cake may have a dome on top. The first reason is that the cake tin is very small. Because of this, it will cause the cake to crack and have a dome on top. Secondly, the cake pan is heating up more quickly than the rest of the cake. As a result, it causes the edges to set before the cake has risen entirely.
In addition to that, the center rises and develops a dome. Also, a cake with a dome on top may be due to the cake cooking too fast. Likewise, the cake’s edges bake too early in the baking process. But, at the same time, it results in the cake’s middle being uncooked. In addition to that, the cake’s leavening continues to perform in the baking process. Hence, the cake keeps rising and lifting the cake’s middle higher and higher until removed from the oven.
How to Stop a Cake From Doming?
If the cake has a dome, it is still entirely fine for consumption. Likewise, you can enjoy it as is. However, please keep in mind that bigger cakes take a long time to bake, whereas smaller cakes finish quicker. Therefore, to stop a cake from doming, it is best to utilize low and slow methods. This enables the cake to bake evenly.
Also, you can use heating cores. Likewise, you can use flower nails as heating cores. So with that, you should first spray the baking pans with non-stick spray. Then, paint or spray the heating cores anywhere it’s going to touch the cake, especially the inside and outside. Similarly, do the same process with flower nails. Then, please put them in the center of the baking pan.
Chicago Metallic Professional Non-Stick 3-Piece Round Cake Pan Bakeware Set, Black
Furthermore, line the outside of the cake tin with a double layer of foil. Then, make sure to fold them to the height of the cake pan. Afterward, wrap them around the outside. The extra foil delays the heating of the pan. As a result, your cake batter at the edges will not cook too fast.
Ways To Prevent Cake From Doming
The most effective approach to prevent the cake from doming is to lower the temperature by 20 degrees Celsius. Or, you can lessen it by 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Baking the cake between 160 and 170 degrees Celsius, or at 325 degrees Fahrenheit will bake the cake evenly with no burnt edges. Because of this, the cake will take longer to bake because you are lowering the temperature. So be sure to increase the baking time by around half.
Additionally, use a cake pan suitable for the recipe because that is also essential. Remember that all cake pans differ from one another. Some cake pans diffuse the heat poorly. As a result, they make them extremely hot. Likewise, a cake pan that heats faster than normal will indeed cause a cake with a dome on top.
That is why it would help to use aluminum cake pans. Keep in mind that aluminum is the best conductor of heat. In addition to that, the anodization on the cake pans makes them exceedingly durable.
How to Prevent Cake From Doming
If you want a flat cake, wait until it cools completely. After that, slice off the dome with the use of a long serrated knife. Then, decorate the cake with frosting. On the other hand, if making a layer cake, make sure to flip the top layer of cake. Doing this ensures that the flat bottom faces up. Keep in mind that it will only work if the dome is not exceedingly high. Then, decorate with frosting. As a result, the cake will look fine and even.
How To Homemade Cake Strips
If you can afford fabric cake strips, this would be easier and they’re also reusable. However, you can make your cake strips at home. And the only three things you need are:
- strong paper towels
Now all you need to do is:
- Grab your strong paper towel and wrap it roughly around your cake pan; there’s no need for exact measurements. This is just to find the circumference size. Fold lengthwise.
- Submerge your paper towel into water and wring it out. It should only be damp, not dripping wet when you add it to your cake pan.
- Measure foil that’s slightly bigger than your paper towel (around 2 inches). Wrap the paper towel inside the piece of foil. This helps to retain moisture throughout the baking period.
- Wrap the foil around the edges of your pan. Press against the pan to ensure it stays in place. It really is that easy! Your cakes will now be very unlikely to the dome.
How to Make Flat Cake Layers Recipe
Now we know how to make strips, we can take a look at how to make flat cake layers, while using them. This recipe needs the following ingredients:
for the cake:
- 1 2/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 3 egg whites
for the buttercream:
- 2 lbs of confectioners’ sugar
- 1 lb of butter
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Now all you need to do is:
- Gather all of the ingredients you need for this recipe and preheat your oven to 340F. Grease and lightly flour 2 8″ baking pans.
- Sift the following ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix and set to one side.
- Add the following ingredients to another bowl: butter, vanilla extract, sour cream, whole milk, and egg whites. Mix together until well combined and then add the dry ingredients to the bowl. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter evenly into your prepared cake pans and place wet homemade baking strips around your cake pans (see tutorial above).
- Place into your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Leave to cool while you make the frosting.
- To make the buttercream, beat the buttercream in a bowl until fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, mixing as you go. Then add the vanilla, salt, and milk. Mix well until smooth and fluffy.
- Place one cake layer onto your cake stand and add frosting to the first layer. Top with a second layer and frost the top of your cake, and sides if you wish. Smooth frosting with a scraper. Decorate as you wish. Slice, serve, and enjoy.
I hope this post has helped to answer the question: how to prevent the cake from doming. And give you a few tips and tricks to create the perfect flat cake layers. Do you have any of your own tips and tricks on how to prevent the cake from doming? If so, please feel free to let me know in the comments below. Sharing is caring.
Zarah is an experienced pastry chef whose creations have delighted countless customers. With a passion for baking, Zarah has developed a unique style that combines classic techniques with modern flavors. Her desserts are consistently crafted with the finest ingredients, and her attention to detail is evident in the stunning and delectable results. Zarah has a wealth of experience in the pastry kitchen, and loves to share her knowledge with others. Whether it is teaching a class or creating a custom cake for a special occasion, Zarah is committed to making sure every customer is satisfied.