Last Updated on January 31, 2023
Wondering how to turn brownie mix into cake? We have the ultimate guide on what you need to change. And, we even included an easy recipe!
Brownie Mix Vs Cake Mix – What’s The Difference?
Brownie mixes and cake mixes are very similar. They use a lot of the same ingredients like flour, eggs, sugar, leaveners, and milk (or oil). They are also often made using very similar preparation, mixing, and baking techniques.
So then, why isn’t a brownie mix the same as a chocolate cake mix? The main difference between these two baked items is the ratio of the ingredients they contain. And, these varying ratios create an entirely different texture within each baked item.
Let’s have a look at the precise differences in more depth. This will make it much easier to determine how to turn brownie mix into cake.
So, brownies and cakes contain virtually the same ingredients, but in varying ratios. Let’s have a look at the most noticeable differences.
Cakes contain a lot more leavening agents than brownies do. This is what makes cakes more airy and soft as compared to dense chewy brownies.
Brownies often use baking powder or bicarb of soda in their recipes. Cakes, however, can also use whipped egg whites or cream as a way to incorporate air.
The fat content in both these treats also differs vastly! Brownies contain a lot more fat which helps give them a rich moist texture. And, the more fat you include in a recipe, the denser the item will be.
Brownies don’t always use eggs. And when they do, it isn’t a lot. Cakes on the other hand contain a lot more eggs and often use both egg yolks and egg whites.
For cakes, egg whites can be incorporated as-is to act as an emulsifier and binding ingredient. But, they can also be beaten to medium or stiff peaks and folded into the batter. This creates a super light and airy cake texture.
Brownies often contain a lot more sugar than cakes do. This is part of what creates their fudgy or chewy texture. And yes, brownies have varying textures.
Changes That You Need to Make
To recap, a brownie recipe contains a lot more fat and sugar and a lot fewer eggs and leavening agents.
So, the main changes you have to make to turn a brownie mix into a cake are as follows;
- Decrease the fat content
- Increase the leavening agent
- Increase the number of eggs (or alter how they are used)
1. Altering the fat content
To prevent your cake from coming out extremely dense and tender, you will have to create an overall lighter texture. This can be done by reducing the fat in the recipe. But, by doing so you are removing moisture from the batter, which could create a dense dry cake.
The best solution is to simply substitute the fat with another type of ingredient. You can use applesauce to substitute the butter. It will still add a rich flavor, and a ton of moisture, but won’t create an overly dense texture.
2. Add more leavening agent
By adding more learners, you will help give the batter more rise, which will create a lighter soft texture.
Now, the brownie mix already contains baking soda or baking powder. So, you only have to add about a teaspoon extra. If you aren’t sure which the mix contains, rather add baking powder to be safe.
Baking soda is alkaline and requires an acid to form a chemical reaction. Baking powder contains a mix of acid and alkaline, which makes it automatically react once liquid is added.
3. Use eggs correctly
If the brownie mix doesn’t call for egg whites, you have to add them. They have a ton of functions in cakes including leavening, binding, stabilization, and emulsifying.
Now, you don’t even have to add egg yolks to cakes. The spongiest cakes don’t contain any egg yolks at all (for example a chiffon cake).
How to Turn Brownie Mix Into Cake? The Surprising Way to Upgrade Your Baking Game
Converting a brownie mix into a cake is a fairly straightforward process that involves making a few adjustments to the ingredients and baking method. Now, let’s go into some specifics that we believe will be very useful to you the next time you decide to experiment in the kitchen, shall we?
The texture of a brownie differentiates compared to that of a cake, with brownies being thicker and fudgier and cakes being lighter and fluffier. To make a brownie mix into a cake, modify the ingredients and baking procedure to get a lighter texture.
When converting a brownie mix into a cake, one of the main ingredients that must be altered is the eggs. The thing is that brownies normally contain fewer eggs compared to classic cakes, and their main purpose in a brownie mix is to help create a thicker texture. To get a lighter texture in a cake, you must add additional eggs to the brownie batter.
The fat content is another factor that has to be modified, without exception. Brownies are typically prepared using butter or oil, which lends to the characteristic, fudgy texture. To make a cake using brownie mix, you need to lower the amount of fat and must use lighter oil or a mix of oil as well as non-dairy milk. This will result in a lighter texture and less fat in the cake. That’s what you want to end up with.
Now, let’s talk about the baking procedure. Although it may seem like a not-too-important thing, the baking method needs to be adjusted as well. The primary distinction between brownies and cakes is the time and temperature at which they are baked. Brownies are normally baked at a much higher temperature but for a shorter period, whereas cakes are typically baked at a lower temperature for a longer duration. Simple as that!
Finally, a critical point shouldn’t be overlooked. So, it is worth noting that not all brownie mixes are created equal. That’s why, before you even try to make anything, double-check the ingredients and directions. The thing is that certain brownie mixes may contain additional components that are not suited for a cake.
So, let’s summarize everything together once again. There’s no reason not to give this method a chance because turning a cake mix into a cake isn’t rocket science. You may get a lighter and fluffier texture in your brownie mix by adding extra eggs, lowering the fat amount, and modifying the baking technique.
What You Will Need – How To Turn Brownie Mix Into a Cake
- 1 box brownie mix (between 15 to 18.5 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 8-inch square baking pan
- Non-stick baking paper or cooking spray
- Mixing bowls
- Electric hand or stand mixer
- Silicone spatula
- Cooling rack
Step 1: Prepare the dry ingredients
First, preheat your oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line a cake pan with non-stick baking paper or cooking spray. Set it aside.
Then, combine the brownie mix and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Make sure you sift the ingredients to prevent lumps.
Step 2: Make the cake batter
Next, combine all of the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Whisk them well to ensure they are evenly distributed.
Then, add the dry ingredients to the wet ones. Mix slowly until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated and you have a completely smooth batter.
Step 3: Bake the cake
Pour the cake batter into your lined cake pan and bake it for roughly 30-45 minutes.
Once the cake has been fully baked, remove it from the oven and allow it to completely cool on a wire rack before decorating it.
Tips and Tricks
- If your specific batter is very thick, you can add a bit more oil (or applesauce) and milk. Your batter shouldn’t be as thick as a brownie batter.
- Only mix the ingredients until they are incorporated. If you over-mix the batter, it will produce a dense cake.
- You can aerate your cake even more by separating the eggs. Incorporate the yolks with the wet ingredients. Beat the egg white separately and fold them in once the batter has been made.
- Before removing the cake from the oven, make sure it has been fully baked. Test it with a toothpick or cake tester. When it comes out clean in the center, the cake has finished baking.
Is Chocolate Cake Mix the Same as Brownie Mix?
While they do usually have very similar ingredients and look almost identical when they’re batter…they are not the same. There are a few differences between the two popular baking mixes. While chocolate cake mix and brownie mix will always contain sugar, butter, flour, and chocolate – the main difference is the varying levels.
While the ingredients are the same, the amount of each is very different. Another difference is that brownies do not typically use ingredients like baking powder or baking soda. This is because they’re usually far more dense than chocolate cakes and do not need to rise. You’ll usually find that brownies contain more chocolate than their chocolate cake counterparts.
How Many Eggs For Cake Like Brownies?
If you prefer a chewier brownie that feels more like a cake than a brownie, you may need to adjust the recipe slightly. And the main change to make comes down to the number of eggs you use. In brownies, eggs give that creamy, rich texture and flavor, as well as being the ingredient that binds your brownies together.
Eggs are very important in brownies because they act as the leavening agent too; as brownie mixes do not typically include ingredients such as baking powder or baking soda. Most brownie recipes will need two eggs. However many eggs your recipe calls for, if you’d like cake-like brownies, just add an extra egg. This will help you achieve that cake-like texture you’re looking for. Do not add more than one as this may change the texture too much and they won’t be as tasty.
How to Make Brownies With a White Cake Mix?
If you’d like to transform your white cake mix into brownies, I would highly recommend making white chocolate brownies. This recipe is one of my favorites. The only ingredients you’ll need are 1 packet of white cake mix, 1 egg, 1/3 cup of brown sugar, 1/3 cup of milk, and 1 cup of white chocolate chips (or butterscotch chips also work well).
- Now all you need to do is grease a baking pan and preheat your oven to around 325F.
- Next, grab a bowl and add the sugar and cake mix.
- Mix well and then add the milk and egg.
- Keep stirring until all ingredients are combined.
- Now fold in your chocolate chips, until evenly distributed.
- Add the batter to your prepared pan and place it in the center of your preheated oven for around 25-30 minutes. If you like gooey brownies, remove them for around 25 minutes and if you like chewy brownies, remove them for around 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
How to Turn a Cake Into Brownies?
Turning a cake mix into brownies is super easy; particularly if you have a chocolate cake mix. The ingredients you’ll need for this are 1 box of chocolate cake mix (I usually use Betty Crocker), 1/2 cup of oil (either vegetable or olive oil work best), 2 eggs, 1 cup of chocolate chips, and 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.
- Now all you need to do is grab a bowl and add all of the ingredients and mix well until the ingredients are completely combined.
- Now add the batter to a lined baking dish and bake in the center of your preheated oven at 350F for around 20-30 minutes.
- The timing will all depend on how fudgy you like your brownies; the longer you leave them, the chewier they’ll be.
Brownie Mix to Cake Magic: Ghirardelli Brownie Mix Cake Recipe
Ghirardelli is a well-known brand of chocolate and chocolate-related products, including brownie mix. Their iconic mix is made with high-quality ingredients, such as rich cocoa powder and real chocolate chips, which sets it apart from many other brownie mixes that can be found on store shelves. What is highly appreciated about it is the simplicity of its preparation, namely, you only need to add butter and eggs to this mixture before putting it in the oven.
As for the taste, Ghirardelli’s brownies are known for their deep, rich chocolate flavor and moist, fudgy texture. The chocolate chips in the batter create melty chocolate pockets throughout the brownies, which actually greatly contributes to their richness. The brownies have a nice combination of sweetness and chocolate taste, which makes them a real crowd-pleaser, almost without exception.
However, did you know that this mix does not have to be used just for making brownies? Here are short instructions on how to make a super-tasty chocolate cake from a brownie mix.
Transform Your Brownie Mix into a Decadent Chocolate Cake: A Step-by-Step Guide
If you are in a rush and need to create some confectionery for a loved one, don’t be afraid to make a birthday cake from a brownie mix. The recipe that follows is a fantastic way to prepare a delicious, rich chocolate cake that is suitable for any occasion. Let’s dive into the details!
- 1 package of Ghirardelli Brownie Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- The first thing you have to do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and then grease and flour a baking pan. We normally use the 9×13-inch pan since it produces a wonderfully formed and tall cake.
- Combine the brownie mix, eggs, oil, and water in a large mixing bowl and stir gently until all ingredients are well combined.
- Then add 1 cup of chocolate chips to the batter.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the pan, then smooth it with a spatula. Don’t let there be too many bumps on the top, you want it to be as flat as possible.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Do not open the oven door too early because cold air will enter and you risk the cake dough losing volume and flattening. When you are sure that the cake is ready, test it with a toothpick. Insert a toothpick into the middle of your cake and if it comes out clean or with only a few small but dry crumbs, you are sure that it is ready to be taken out.
- Let the cake cool completely and only then dust it with some powdered sugar.
For us, this is one of the best alternatives when we have a sweet tooth. Don’t skip adding the chocolate chips, as they can add a rich chocolate flavor and make this dessert even more delicious than you can imagine. Also, powdered sugar gives a great finishing touch to the cake, so we would recommend being generous when dusting. Finally, you don’t have to blindly stick to this recipe. Moreover, feel free to experiment. Trust us, a handful of nuts or some frosting, or any other topping you like can make it even better and tastier.
That would be it, now you know how to turn brownie mix into cake.
Wrapping It Up
Turning a brownie mix into a cake can be a tasty and fun way to enjoy a homemade chocolate cake. In addition, it is quite a convenient option as it contains all the dry ingredients needed and only requires the addition of a few wet ingredients.
After this extremely informative article, we’re sure you know exactly how to turn brownie mix into cake! And, make sure to share it with your family and friends.
How to Turn Brownie Mix into Cake? Unleash Your Inner Baker
- 8-inch square baking pan
- Non-stick baking paper or cooking spray
- Mixing bowls
- Electric hand or stand mixer
- Silicone spatula
- Cooling Rack
- Prepare the dry ingredients.First, preheat your oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line a cake pan with non-stick baking paper or cooking spray. Set it aside.Then, combine the brownie mix and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Make sure you sift the ingredients to prevent lumps.1 box brownie mix (between 15 to 18.5 ounces), 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Make the cake batter.Next, combine all of the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Whisk them well to ensure they are evenly distributed.Then, add the dry ingredients to the wet ones. Mix slowly until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated and you have a completely smooth batter.2 large eggs, room temperature, 1/2 cup vegetable oil or applesauce, 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- Bake the cake.Pour the cake batter into your lined cake pan and bake it for roughly 30-45 minutes.Once the cake has been fully baked, remove it from the oven and allow it to completely cool on a wire rack before decorating it.
What is the difference between cake mix and brownie mix?
Brownie recipes contains a lot more fat, sugar, and chocolate. But, it contains less leavening agents and eggs than cake recipes do. This gives brownie recipes a much denser and often chewy or fudge texture. Cakes are light and airy with a soft tender texture.
Why did brownies turn out like cake?
When your brownies have a more cake-like texture, it means that the recipe contains too much eggs and leavening agents, and not enough fat.
Can you make a cake with brownie mix?
You can easily make a cake using a brownie mix. The easiest way to do this is by decreasing the amount of oil or fat. Furthermore, you have to increase the leavening agent and use more eggs. Add 1 teaspoon baking powder to the mixture. You can also add about 2 eggs )or egg whites) if the original brownie recipe doesn't contain any.
Lindy Van Schalkwyk is a culinary specialist with a background in Advanced Cooking, Advanced Pâtisserie, Media Communications and Nutrition. She has gained invaluable experience in the culinary industry having worked in some of the top restaurants in Africa in 2016 and 2017. Her expertise in nutrition has enabled her to develop recipes for special dietary needs. In 2018, Lindy began working in the Food Media industry, focusing on recipe development, recipe writing, food writing and food styling.