Last Updated on February 12, 2023
Fondant is a type of paper-based icing that you can use for many different cake-decorating projects. It comes in two basic flavors, white and black, with each color having a variety of shades to choose from. Fondant is one of the best ways to decorate a cake. But how much fondant to cover a cake?
“How to calculate fondant for cakes?” is a question that many people ask. The answer can be found by using the following equation: Fondant = (Width of cake) x (Height of cake) x 0.5
How Much Fondant to Cover a Cake?
To calculate how much fondant you need for a cake, multiply the length of your cake by the height of your cake. For example, if your cake is 6 inches tall and 12 inches long, then you will need 72 inches of fondant.
How many grams of fondant does it take to cover a cake?
It depends on the cake size and how much fondant you have. If you are using a small amount of fondant, it would take about 3 grams. If you are using a larger amount of fondant, it would take about 7 grams.
How do I calculate how much fondant I need for a cake?
To calculate how much fondant you need for a cake, multiply the height of the cake by 3.14 and then divide that number by 2. This will give you the number of pounds of fondant needed to cover your cake.
“how much fondant for 1 kg cake” is a question that I am often asked. It can be difficult to answer because there are so many variables when it comes to baking.
Watch this video:
How to Calculate Fondant for Cakes
Calculating fondant doesn’t need to be difficult. However, it’s impossible to do until you’ve decided on the thickness of the fondant, the shape of your fondant, and even the amount of excess you’ll need. All of these factors will determine how to start the calculation for your fondant. The easiest way to do this is by using a fondant calculator. Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen has a great tool on its website that does all the work for you. You can find the calculator tool here.
Another way is to use our chart below that’ll help to give you all the information you need for the most common sizes and shapes of cakes.
It’s also worth mentioning that fondant typically comes in the following sizes: 4.4oz, 24oz, and 80oz.
Fondant Coverage Chart
If you’re looking for a rough estimate as to how much fondant you’ll need for varying cake sizes and shapes, then look no further. Rounds and sheets are the most common shapes. Let’s take a closer look.
4-inch round cakes
For round cakes that are 4 inches high, you’ll need the following amount of fondant:
- for a 6″ cake, you’ll need around 18oz of fondant
- for an 8″ cake, you’ll need around 24oz of fondant
- for a 10″ cake, you’ll need around 36oz of fondant
- for a 12″ cake, you’ll need around 48oz of fondant
- for a 14″ cake, you’ll need around 72oz of fondant
- for a 16″ cake, you’ll need around 108oz of fondant
- for an 18″ cake, you’ll need around 140oz of fondant
3-inch round cakes
For round cakes that are 3 inches high, you’ll need the following amount of fondant:
- for a 6″ cake, you’ll need around 14oz of fondant
- for an 8″ cake, you’ll need around 18oz of fondant
- for a 10″ cake, you’ll need around 24oz of fondant
- for a 12″ cake, you’ll need around 36oz of fondant
- for a 14″ cake, you’ll need around 48oz of fondant
- for a 16″ cake, you’ll need around 72oz of fondant
- for an 18″ cake, you’ll need around 108oz of fondant
2-inch high sheet cakes
For sheet cakes that are 2 inches high, you’ll need the following amount of fondant:
- for a 7″x11″ cake, you’ll need around 30oz of fondant
- for a 9″x13″ cake, you’ll need around 40oz of fondant
- for an 11″x15″ cake, you’ll need around 60oz of fondant
- for a 12″x18″ cake, you’ll need around 80oz of fondant
How Thick Should Fondant Be?
When deciding how thick you’d like your fondant to be, the most important thing to remember is to make it as thin as possible, without ruining the structure. Typically, fondant is around 1/4 inch thick; but some bakers prefer to make it even thinner, at around 1/8 inch thick.
Tips and Tricks When Working With Fondant
There are a few tips and tricks to follow when working with fondant. Let’s take a look.
- Frost Your Cake First. Before you add your fondant, you should have a smooth layer of buttercream on your cake. This makes for a great base for your fondant.
- Choose the Right Color Base. If using white fondant, use traditional buttercream. If using black fondant, use chocolate buttercream.
- Grease the Surface You’re Working On. Fondant will pick up just around anything on a work surface and becomes easily stuck. Lightly greasing your work surface is the best way to prevent this when rolling out your fondant. The best options to use are confectioners’ sugar or shortening.
- Turn Fondant Often. Before you roll and you’re working your fondant, turn it over often to ensure it doesn’t stick and keep it moving.
- Grease Hands. As well as greasing your surface, you should also grease your hands. You can do this by rubbing a small amount of shortening in your hands before starting work on your fondant.
I hope this post has helped to answer the question: how much fondant to cover a cake? And give you an idea of some tips and tricks to use when working with fondant. It takes some practice, but you’ll be an expert with fondant in no time. Do you have tips and tricks when it comes to fondant? If so, please feel free to let me know in the comments below. And remember, sharing is caring!
- fondant calculator topper
- how much fondant is to cover 8-inch cake in grams
- how thick to roll fondant cm
- how much fondant is to cover 12 cupcakes
- how to cover a cake with fondant for beginners