Last Updated on January 14, 2023
For many sweet-tooth enthusiasts, there is no such thing as too much frosting. Many of us love the sweet taste of cinnamon rolls, that ooze with delicious frosting. Luckily, one of these rolls, the Pillsbury cinnamon roll icing recipe, is easy to make. This simple recipe will take your breakfast skills to another level.
Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll Icing Recipe: What You Will Need
To make the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls icing, you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of softened butter
- 1 ½ ounce of cream cheese
- ¾ cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of half and half
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla
To make this frosting, you will need an electric mixer.
Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll: Step-by-Step Instructions
When baking, this is the perfect frosting to pair with your cinnamon rolls. And if you’re making cinnamon rolls, it is best to make the frosting while they are in the oven, so you can add the freshly made frosting to the warm rolls.
Step 1: Beating
First, you will want to beat the butter and cream cheese in a bowl with an electric mixer on an average speed until it is blended.
Step 2: Mixing All the Ingredients
Once that is done, add the vanilla, half and half, and powdered sugar. Mix all the ingredients until it is smooth. After doing that, add the frosting to warm cinnamon rolls.
For best results, add the frosting to the cinnamon roll while it is still warm to allow the frosting to melt a bit, before making a delicious snack.
If you want to take your cinnamon rolls to another level, you can add orange juice and orange zest to your frosting. This is a simple change to the classic frosting that will take your taste buds up in flavor. This is a great choice if you love a bit of a citrus flavor, as the orange is not too overpowering.
Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll: Tips and Tricks
To beat the cream cheese and butter, it will be better if they both have been softened. If you forgot to soften your cream cheese and butter, you can microwave each separately for approximately ten seconds.
To make a fun snack for the family to share, you can make your cinnamon rolls in a waffle iron, then cut them into strips. After that, you can dip your cinnamon roll sticks into the frosting; as well as other fun dips such as chocolate sauce, strawberry jam, or syrup.
If you have leftover frosting, it is best to store the remainder in the fridge. Cream cheese-based frosting can be stored in the fridge for up to three days, and in the freezer for up to one month.
Does the Icing in Cinnamon Rolls Go Bad?
Like all foods, of course, the icing in cinnamon rolls can go bad. The most effective way to tell if the icing isn't okay is to do the smell test and look at the appearance. If it looks glazed and fresh, and the smell isn't sour or bad, the icing will be completely safe to eat.
Commercial icing on cinnamon rolls can last a while, so it's unlikely for the icing to go bad before the cinnamon roll itself does. On average, cinnamon rolls with icing will last around 1-2 days at room temperature, between 4-5 days in the refrigerator, and 1-2 months in the freezer. It's important to note that they should always be stored in an airtight container, for best results.
Does Cinnamon Roll Icing Need to be Refrigerated?
The answer is: it depends. If the cinnamon roll icing is made from powdered sugar, you will not need to refrigerate it. However, if it's made from cream cheese frosting, it is always best to keep it refrigerated. Cream cheese will likely spoil after around two hours at room temperature, and cream cheese frosting is the same. If your cinnamon roll icing is made using cream cheese, it is best to keep it in the fridge.
Do You Heat Cinnamon Roll Icing?
You can, but it is likely to become slightly runny, depending on how long you're baking. It's always best to frost your cinnamon rolls after they're baked, if possible. It's always best to serve warm and then smother with frosting for the best results.
How to Make Icing For Cinnamon Rolls With Granulated Sugar?
You can make cinnamon roll icing without powdered sugar and instead, use granulated sugar. To do this, you'll need the following ingredients: ½ cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, ¾ cup of granulated sugar, ½ cup of butter, and 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract. Now all you need to do is add the milk and flour to a pan over medium heat and mix until it becomes a paste.
Now stir in your vanilla extract and remove from heat and leave to cool. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. Now add both mixtures together and whisk until completely combined. Pour over your cinnamon rolls!
What to Do With Leftover Cinnamon Roll Icing?
Cinnamon French toast or cinnamon bread pudding is a great idea to use up any leftover icing. However, you can use this leftover icing on any of your baked goods and it's sure to be delicious.
How Do You Make Dairy-Free Cinnamon Roll Icing?
It's super easy to make dairy-free cinnamon roll icing, which can cater to a range of dietary requirements including lactose intolerant and vegan. The ingredients you'll need for this are 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons of dairy-free milk alternative (like coconut milk or almond milk). Now all you need to do is add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Once completely mixed, pour over your cinnamon rolls once baked and cooled slightly. Serve and enjoy!
How to Make Canned Cinnamon Roll Icing Better
You may be wondering how to make Pillsbury cinnamon roll icing taste better. There are plenty of easy ways to do this, using simple ingredients such as salt! Let's take a closer look at some of the best options.
- Pinch of salt. Adding a small amount of salt to the icing (or the cinnamon rolls themselves) can help to balance out the flavors of the rolls. It also prevents them from becoming too sweet and enhances the other delicious flavors of the icing (and rolls).
- Add chopped nuts. Just a small amount of nuts like pecans can really help to give the cinnamon rolls texture and additional flavor.
- Creamer. Pour a small amount of vanilla creamer into your pan before you bake. This will help to keep the rolls moist and add a rich flavor that's unbeatable.
- Extra ingredients. Adding ingredients such as cinnamon and brown sugar can add texture and flavor.
Homemade Cinnamon Roll Icing
Making homemade cinnamon roll icing is super easy to do yourself! However, to make the best icing, you'll need the following ingredients: 7 tablespoons of softened butter, 2 oz of softened cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of milk, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 ½ cups of sifted confectioners' sugar, and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Now all you need to do is add the butter and cream cheese to a stand mixer.
- Beat for a minute or so, or until the mixture becomes light and creamy.
- Once beaten, add in the vanilla extract, as well as the mix.
- Now add the confectioners' sugar slowly (around ½ cup of sugar at a time).
- Only add the next amount of sugar once the previous amount has been completely mixed.
- Add the salt and keep mixing until you have a smooth icing.
Cinnamon Roll Icing Without Cream Cheese
You may be wondering how to follow a Pillsbury cinnamon roll icing recipe without the use of cream cheese. We're here to help! For this recipe, you'll need the following ingredients: 2 cups of confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, and 4 tablespoons of milk (or heavy cream).
- Now all you need to do is add the melted butter, vanilla, and milk to a bowl and mix well.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat well until you reach the consistency you're looking for.
- Pour icing over your cinnamon rolls; doing this when they're warm works best.
Simple Glaze For Cinnamon Rolls
If you're just looking for a simple glaze for your cinnamon rolls, with ingredients you likely already have in your pantry, this is the glaze for you. All you'll need is ½ cup of butter, 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1 ½ tablespoons of milk.
- Now all you need to do is add the butter to a stand mixer and cream the butter.
- Once smooth, you can gradually add your powdered sugar.
- Add one cup of sugar, mix and then add your vanilla extract.
- Add the second cup of sugar, mix and then add your milk.
- Add the final cup of sugar and mix well until you reach the consistency you're looking for.
- Pour icing over your warm cinnamon rolls and enjoy!
The Perfect Sweet Treat
Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll Icing Recipe
This simple frosting pairs perfectly with freshly baked cinnamon rolls. It is a great recipe to have on hand for a breakfast meal or a sweet snack. If you tried this frosting, please share your experience with how it turned out!
Delicious Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll Icing Recipe
- First you will want to beat the butter and cream cheese in a bowl with an electric mixer on an average speed, until it is blended.
- Once that is done, add the vanilla, half and half and powdered sugar. Mix all the ingredients together until it is smooth. After doing that, add the frosting to warm cinnamon rolls.
- For best results, add the frosting to the cinnamon roll while it is still warm to allow the frosting to melt a bit, before making a delicious snack.
- If you want to take your cinnamon rolls to another level, you can add orange juice and orange zest to your frosting. This is a simple change to the classic frosting that will take your taste buds for a step up in flavor. This is a great choice if you love a bit of a citrus flavor, as the orange is not too overpowering.
Please comment if you enjoyed this article or have any remarks regarding this recipe!
How Do I Make Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls Better?
You can make it better by whipping up a delicious cream cheese frosting. With that, you can put plain cream cheese frosting or even add a twist to it—for instance, fresh orange zest or maple syrup.
Since you can use any frosting on your Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, coat the cinnamon rolls when they are hot from the oven. Doing this will melt the frosting into all the nooks and crannies. In addition to that, it will also moisten the dough and soften the edges.
Also, Pillsbury cinnamon rolls do not necessarily need to remain in their original form. For this reason, you can use a waffle iron to produce crispy outer surfaces before you drizzle it with frosting.
In addition to that, it helps the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls to have a protective layer that prevents them from staling and drying.
Are Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls Good?
Yes, it is both tasty and appealing. Likewise, it is irresistible that you have to take a bite of its glossy glaze and beautiful spiral-shaped roll. And I promise you, after that single bite, you cannot get enough of it.
Likewise, you will crave its crispy and flaky texture for days, not to mention its caramelized bottom.
It is also a famous brand of cinnamon rolls that is relatively sweet, and the rolls are incredibly delicious. Because of this, it is the perfect sweet breakfast pastry.
How Many Calories Are in a Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll?
There are about 140 calories per serving with frosting for eight cinnamon rolls. In addition to that, there are 9g of sugar, 2.5 saturated fat, and 350mg of sodium.
What Can You Add to Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls?
You can take time to make your homemade frosting. For instance, chocolate or cream cheese frosting and then add to the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. In addition to that, add dark chocolate chunks or chopped nuts. Moreover, you can put additional spices such as ginger and cardamom.
You can also add some chopped persimmon, pear, apple, or some well-drained and defrosted blueberries; but it is best to use fresh ones. Then, add a teaspoon of cinnamon. After that, a tablespoon of brown sugar. Afterward, unroll the dough, softly press the fruit inside, then re-roll it. Lastly, bake as instructed in your homemade Pillsbury cinnamon rolls recipe.
Can You Cook Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls in the Microwave?
Yes, and it is pretty much easy to do. First, remove a small portion of the cinnamon roll from your tube of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. Then, please put it in a tiny dish. Afterward, please place it in the microwave for 45 seconds to a minute for it to cook, and after that, you can enjoy it. Keep in mind that each microwave varies; so this could mean that it could take more or less time for the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls to cook for others.
Karen is a passionate pastry chef who loves to create delicious baked goods. She has been in the culinary arts for over 10 years, honing her skills and perfecting her craft. Karen is known for her creativity and attention to detail, creating unique desserts that bring a smile to everyone’s face. She is always looking for ways to challenge herself and come up with new recipes that are both tasty and visually appealing. Karen loves to experiment with different flavors and textures, and she is committed to providing the highest quality of products to her customers.