Last Updated on February 5, 2023
It is hard to beat the taste of freshly baked monkey bread. The aroma of sweet cinnamon monkey bread fills your kitchen as you bite into the warm, gooey monkey bread, making your taste buds jump for joy. This amazing monkey bread from scratch with no yeast is the perfect recipe to fulfill your sweet cravings.
Monkey bread is a classic dessert that tastes best fresh out of the oven. Your whole family will find it hard to resist eating the entire thing in one sitting. Luckily, this monkey bread is simple to make and requires no previous baking experience.
What Exactly is Cinnamon Monkey Bread?
Monkey bread is a cinnamon Bundt cake with brown sugar or icing glaze that is baked in pull-apart pieces. It is a sweet and gooey dessert that is similar to cinnamon rolls. Though monkey bread is most commonly served as a Bundt cake, it can also be made as a loaf or in a casserole style.
Cinnamon Monkey Bread: Yeast Free
This monkey bread from scratch contains no yeast, which is a common ingredient in bread. Baking with yeast can be a complex process. Yeast needs time to rise, needs to be kneaded, and needs to be punched.
Working with yeast is a lengthy process that takes a lot of time and patience. You generally need baking experience to work with yeast, as there are many steps involved that can be complicated. You will also need a lot of time, as the yeast will typically need one to two hours to rise.
This monkey bread is made from scratch, but it contains no yeast, so it is simpler to make than your typical bread recipe. This monkey bread is not only easy to make, but it is also delicious.
What You Will Need: Monkey Bread From Scratch No Yeast
To make this monkey bread recipe by Baking a Moment from scratch without yeast, you will need:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, gluten-free alternative
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk, cold
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
To prepare this monkey bread, you will need a:
Cinnamon Monkey Bread: Step-by-Step Instructions
Step One: Preheat the Oven and Spray Pan
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray the Bundt pan with cooking spray.
Step Two: Mix Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Use a whisk to thoroughly mix.
Step Three: Cut Butter
Cut the butter into pea-sized pieces.
Step Four: Add the Buttermilk and Butter to Flour Mix
Add the buttermilk and butter to the flour mix and combine until the dough forms. The dough should be able to cleanly pull away from the side of the bowl.
Step Five: Mix Sugar and Cinnamon
In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon.
Step Six: Scoop the Dough into Balls
Using an ice cream scooper, scoop the dough into one-inch balls. Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mix and place them into the pan.
Step Seven: Combine Brown Sugar and Melted Butter
In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar and melted butter. Once all the dough has been added to the pan, pour the brown sugar butter mixture over the dough.
Step Eight: Bake the Monkey Bread
Bake the monkey bread for 30-35 minutes, until the top is puffed and crusty. Use a toothpick or metal skewer to see if the bread is done; if the toothpick or skewer comes out clean, the bread is fully cooked. Allow the monkey bread to cool for 10 minutes then turn it over on a plate to serve.
The brown sugar glaze will drip down, so be careful when turning it over onto the plate.
Tips and Tricks
Monkey bread tastes delicious on its own, but you can also add in your favorite toppings. Pecans, walnuts, raisins, and apples are popular toppings to add to monkey bread.
Though brown sugar and butter is a popular glaze for monkey bread, you can also use other glazes. Cream cheese icing, vanilla icing, and caramel drizzle taste amazing when added to monkey bread.
Monkey bread can be stored covered at room temperature for a day and it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. It can also be stored in the freezer for up to two months, wrapped in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Simply allow the monkey bread to thaw at room temperature after being frozen before serving.
Monkey bread is a dessert that is best enjoyed warm. If you want to reheat a single serving, you can place it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds. For a larger amount, you can place the monkey bread on a tray in the oven, lightly covered in aluminum foil, and heat it for 15 minutes at 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you are short on time, you can make the dough ahead of time. However, it is best to make the entire dish all at once.
Many monkey bread recipes call for the biscuit dough, but making the dough from scratch gives it a light and delicious texture. Making the dough homemade is the trick to the perfect monkey bread recipe.
Yeast Free Vegan Monkey Bread
The vegan diet is becoming increasingly popular, and one you may already be following. For this reason, you may be looking for vegan monkey bread. We have just the recipe for you, plus it contains no yeast. The ingredients you'll need for this recipe are:
For the bread:
- 5 cups of self-rising flour
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of buttermilk alternative (1 ½ cups of almond milk, with 1 tablespoon of apple vinegar)
- ½ tablespoon of cinnamon
For the coating:
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 ½ cups of brown sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons of cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons of melted vegan butter
Now all you need to do is:
- To make the coating, melt your butter in a microwave and then mix in the vanilla. In a separate bowl, add the cinnamon and brown sugar. Set both bowls to one side.
- Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare a Bundt pan by greasing it with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Grab a large bowl and add the following ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix well and then add small cubes of your vegan butter, working it into the dry ingredients.
- Now pour in your homemade vegan buttermilk alternative and keep mixing until a dough begins to form. You can use your hands to do this if you'd prefer.
- Dust a work surface with flour and roll out your dough. It should be around an inch thick. Divide evenly into around 40 pieces and roll them into small balls.
- First, dip a ball into your vanilla and butter mixture, and then coat it in your brown sugar mixture. Once coated, place in your prepared Bundt pan. Keep doing this until your Bundt pan is full.
- If you have any butter or sugar left, you can add it to the top of your bread. Place in the center of your preheated oven and bake for around 40 minutes. You may need to cover it with foil if it appears to be burning.
- Drizzle a glaze of your choice over the top, when removed from the pan. Serve and enjoy!
Easy Monkey Bread From Scratch No Yeast Recipe
If you're looking for another monkey bread recipe that uses no yeast, this one is super easy. To do this, you'll need the following ingredients:
For the bread:
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 12 tablespoons of butter
- 1 ¼ cups of milk
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
For the glaze:
- 18 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup (and 2 tbsp) of brown sugar
Additional ingredients for coating:
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- ½ cup of sugar
Now all you need to do is:
- Grease a Bundt pan with spray or butter and preheat your oven to 350F.
- Grab a large bowl and add the following ingredients: sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and flour. Whisk the ingredients together.
- Add small cubes of butter into your bowl of dry ingredients, and work them into the mixture.
- Once you have a crumbly mix, add in the milk and stir. A dough should begin to form. Using your hands may be easier at this point.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll your dough to around half an inch in thickness. Cut dough into small even pieces.
- Mix your cinnamon and sugar into a bowl and dip each ball into the mixture and then lay in your prepared pan. If you have any mixture left over, pour it over your bread.
- Before you bake, you'll need to make your glaze. Add the glaze ingredients to a saucepan and heat until melted. Remove from heat and pour over your dough.
- Place your Bundt pan in the center of your preheated oven and bake for around 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool, and then serve and enjoy!
The Perfect Tasty Treat
This monkey bread is a treat your whole family will love. It's hard to beat the taste of the warm, gooey cinnamon pieces. It is the perfect dessert for sharing, as the bite-sized pieces are easy to pull apart.
No matter what the occasion, monkey bread is the perfect choice for celebrating. Your friends and family are guaranteed to love this tasty dessert. If you tried this monkey bread from scratch with no yeast, please share your experience making it.
Please comment if you enjoyed this article or have any remarks regarding this recipe!
Monkey Bread From Scratch No Yeast: Homemade Pull-Apart Delicious Recipe
- Step One: Preheat Oven and Spray Pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray the Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Step Two: Mix Flour, Baking Soda and Salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Use a whisk to thoroughly mix.
- Step Three: Cut Butter
- Cut the butter into pea-sized pieces.
- Step Four: Add the Buttermilk and Butter to Flour Mix
- Add the buttermilk and butter to the flour mix and combine until the dough forms. The dough should be able to cleanly pull away from the side of the bowl.
- Step Five: Mix Sugar and Cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Step Six: Scoop the Dough into Balls
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop the dough into one-inch balls. Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mix and place it into the pan.
- Step Seven: Combine Brown Sugar and Melted Butter
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar and melted butter. Once all the dough has been added to the pan, pour the brown sugar butter mixture over the dough.
- Step Eight: Bake the Monkey Bread
- Bake the monkey bread for 30-35 minutes, until the top is puffed and crusty. Use a toothpick or metal skewer to see if the bread is done; if the toothpick or skewer comes out clean, the bread is fully cooked. Allow the monkey bread to cool for 10 minutes then turn over on a plate to serve.
- The brown sugar glaze will drip down, so be careful when turning it over onto the plate.
Karen is a passionate pastry chef who loves to create delicious baked goods. She has been in the culinary arts for over 10 years, honing her skills and perfecting her craft. Karen is known for her creativity and attention to detail, creating unique desserts that bring a smile to everyone’s face. She is always looking for ways to challenge herself and come up with new recipes that are both tasty and visually appealing. Karen loves to experiment with different flavors and textures, and she is committed to providing the highest quality of products to her customers.