Last Updated on January 14, 2023
This strawberry rhubarb pie with frozen fruit is a flavorful blend of juicy strawberries and tart rhubarb in a flaky bottom crust. The sweetness of the juicy strawberries balances out the bitterness of the rhubarb. A rhubarb looks like pink celery. Its stalk form with the leaves on its end. Also, it is not edible when raw because it is usually cooked down and sweetened. That is why both strawberries and rhubarb work perfectly together! It is a delicious and healthy dessert that everyone will love, especially this Summer.
What you will Need: Sensational Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Ingredients – For the Pie
- 9-inch pie crust
- 4 cups rhubarb (trim the poisonous end, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups medium fresh or frozen strawberries, stemmed, quartered
- A tbsp of lemon juice
- A teaspoon of lemon zest
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Ingredients – For the Crumb Topping
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- A teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tbsp of cold unsalted butter
Read how to make a Delicious Strawberry Topping for Cheesecake
Ingredients – For Serving
- Ice cream
- Large Bowl
- 9-inch pie plate
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Rubber spatula
- Measuring cups
Preheat oven to 400°F or 200°C. Place the rack in the middle position then, line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Take your 9-inch pie plate and roll out the pie crust, trim the edge into 1/2. Then, refrigerate while preparing the filling and topping.
Get your mixing bowl, then add the rhubarb and strawberries with lemon juice, orange zest, sugar, tapioca, and salt until the mixture starts to liquefy and syrupy. Set aside for 10 minutes. Put the filling into the crust and spread it out evenly.
Now for the crumb topping, grab your mixing bowl, and add the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Incorporate the butter with your bare hands until it clumps. Use a pastry brush to add a thin layer of egg white or cream over the top of the pie if you want a nice glace.
Afterward, add the strawberry-rhubarb mixture into the pie shell then, sprinkle with crumb topping. Place the pie on the prepared baking sheet.
Next, place the pie in the oven and bake it for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes longer until the topping has browned and the crust is lightly browned.
Serve cold the filling will thicken and set as it cools. Slice and serve with the ice cream of your choice.
Sensational Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
For the Pie
For the Crumb Topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F or 200°C. Place the rack in the middle position then, line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Take your 9-inch pie plate and roll out the pie crust, trim the edge into 1/2. Then, refrigerate while preparing the filling and topping.
- Get your mixing bowl, then add the rhubarb and strawberries with lemon juice, orange zest, sugar, tapioca, and salt until the mixture starts to liquefy and syrupy. Set aside for 10 minutes. Put the filling into the crust and spread out evenly.
- Now for the crumb topping, grab your mixing bowl, and add the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Incorporate the butter with your bare hands until it clumps. Use a pastry brush to add a thin layer of egg white or cream over the top of the pie if you want a nice glace.
- Afterward, add the strawberry-rhubarb mixture into the pie shell then, sprinkle with crumb topping. Place pie on the prepared baking sheet.
- Next, place the pie in the oven and bake it for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes longer until topping has browned and crust is lightly browned.
- Serve cold the filling will thicken and set as it cools. Slice and serve with the ice cream of your choice.
How to Use Frozen Rhubarb in a Pie?
To use frozen rhubarb in a pie, you will need to thaw it first. Here is a simple procedure that is guaranteed to work:
- Thaw the frozen rhubarb by placing it in a colander and letting it sit at room temperature for at least an hour. You also have the option to thaw it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on the defrost setting. Be sure to use a microwave-safe bowl.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the thawed rhubarb with any other pie-filling ingredients you should use in the recipe, usually sugar, cornstarch, spices, and fresh or frozen fruit.
- Pour the rhubarb mixture into the pie crust and continue the process as the recipe dictates.
Do You Thaw Frozen Rhubarb before Making Pie?
Yes, you will need to thaw frozen rhubarb before making a pie with it. The thing is that frozen rhubarb is often quite hard and icy, and if used in a pie while still frozen, it won’t cook properly. Accordingly, when you thaw the rhubarb, it will become softer and more pliable, which will make it easier to work with and go a long way in allowing the pie to bake more evenly.
To make a strawberry rhubarb pie with frozen fruit, you will need to thaw the rhubarb and strawberries first. If you are considering this method, you have two options, you can either let it sit at room temperature for about 1 hour or place it in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it on defrost for 2-3 minutes. Once thawed, be sure to drain any extra liquid and use the rhubarb in your pie recipe as you would fresh rhubarb.
Does Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Need To Be Refrigerated?
A strawberry rhubarb pie made with frozen fruit does not need to be refrigerated, as long as it is stored in a cool place away from direct heat and sunlight. When the pie has reached room temperature, cover it with foil or plastic wrap and store it at room temperature for up to 2 days.
However, if you have extra space, you can certainly refrigerate it. All you have to do is cover it tightly with foil or plastic wrap, and that’s it. Stored in this way, it can be consumed for up to 3 days, after which it is not recommended because the taste and texture may slowly change. Are you up for a pro tip? Allow the pie to come to room temperature before serving, as it will taste best when not too cold.
Can You Freeze Strawberry Rhubarb Pie?
Do you know what we especially love about strawberry rhubarb pie made with frozen fruit? It can be stored in the freezer and taken out whenever you feel like it!
To freeze the pie, first, allow it to cool completely to room temperature, and only then, cover it securely in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, or store it in a heavy-duty freezer bag. Be sure to label it with the date and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you want to treat yourself to a piece of this delicious pie, simply remove it from the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for about 2-3 hours, or until it is thawed. Alternatively, you can thaw the pie in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, you may serve it cold or reheat it in a 350°F (180°C) oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until well warmed and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks: Sensational Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
It is preferable to use fresh rhubarb and strawberries. If you only have the frozen ones, no need to thaw them as long as you drain the excess water. Do not cut it before it is entirely cool to avoid a runny and watery pie since the pie filling requires plenty of time to cool down so it can thicken and set up appropriately. Also, the pie filling can be blended and then frozen for as long as three months so, before using it, it is best to thaw it overnight in the refrigerator.
Servings and Preparation Time
Zarah is an experienced pastry chef whose creations have delighted countless customers. With a passion for baking, Zarah has developed a unique style that combines classic techniques with modern flavors. Her desserts are consistently crafted with the finest ingredients, and her attention to detail is evident in the stunning and delectable results. Zarah has a wealth of experience in the pastry kitchen, and loves to share her knowledge with others. Whether it is teaching a class or creating a custom cake for a special occasion, Zarah is committed to making sure every customer is satisfied.