Last Updated on January 14, 2023
Do you want to make an egg-free mascarpone cake filling that gives out the traditional Italian flavor? If you do, this recipe is for you. First of all, manufacturers obtain mascarpone cheese from processing cream with additional citric acid. In that regard, it is an excellent accompaniment for your all-time favorite cakes. In addition to that, it has a creamy and rich texture.
Mascarpone is less tangy compared to cream cheese. However, it contains a higher fat content. Because of this, it provides a smoother texture. Overall, mascarpone is the best option to make the most decadent filling for cakes.
How to Stabilize Mascarpone Whipped Cream?
Essentially, you want to ensure that you soften the mascarpone cheese to guarantee that it incorporates properly. However, you do not want it to be warm when making this. Room temperature can be hot during summer, or if you usually keep your home warm, so you should keep an eye on this when making it.
Additionally, it would help to take it out of the refrigerator for approximately forty-five minutes before using it to soften it a bit. However, you still need to chill it once ready. Besides, mascarpone does not hold well when over-beaten or warmed since it is temperamental. When that occurs, there is indeed no amount of refrigerating that will thicken it again. That is why it is best to keep it slightly chilled and make sure that you never overbeat it.
What You Will Need: Mascarpone Cake Filling
- A cup of mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream
- A cup of confectioners sugar
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoon
- Rubber spatula
- Hand or stand mixer
- Piping bag
- Piping tip
Step by Step: Mascarpone Cake Filling
In the bowl of your hand or stand mixer, place the mascarpone cheese. Afterward, beat for two minutes at medium speed until smooth.
After that, make sure to turn the mixer on low speed, and gradually add the powdered sugar until fully incorporated. Increase speed to medium once the powder combines with the cheese and mix for a minute. Then, constantly utilize a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl.
Then, mix in the vanilla extract and turn the mixer on medium-high speed.
Now, gradually pour the heavy cream into the mixer. I recommend you pour in by part to avoid unnecessary splattering. Again, do not forget to scrape the bowl.
As the mixture mixes with the heavy cream, it will start to take shape and thicken. Be careful, and do not over-mix the heavy cream.
Once the frosting takes shape, turn the mixer off. After that, perform a whisk test by dunking the whisk attachment into the frosting and flipping it upside down. The frosting should keep its shape to form a nice peak. However, if it does not, continue mixing the frosting at high speed for thirty seconds intervals.
Finally, if you achieved the desired peak, transfer the filling to a piping bag with a piping tip. You may refrigerate, it or use it as a filling immediately.
Additional Information for Mascarpone Cake Filling
Tips and Tricks for Mascarpone Filling for Cakes
It would be best to remove your mascarpone from the fridge until it is slightly softened. After that, drain the excess liquid off the mascarpone filling. Also, always sift the confectioners’ sugar to avoid lumps. If you desire to limit your sugar intake, you can omit the powdered sugar from the recipe since the mascarpone will help stabilize the heavy cream. However, the confectioners’ sugar can add to both the form and taste.
Furthermore, you can chill your mixing bowl for an hour to help the mascarpone cream whip up better. I recommend using gel food coloring when coloring the mascarpone filling since it is more pigmented and vibrant, without adding liquid to the mixture. Additionally, you can store the mascarpone filling in the fridge for up to two days in an airtight container.
As an alternative to heavy cream, it would be best to utilize whole or whipping cream with at least thirty percent fat. There’s no need to wash the equipment between mixing. Just beat the cream first; after that, beat the mascarpone and vanilla.
Mascarpone Cake Filling: Delicious Recipe
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoon
- Piping Bag
- Piping tip
- In the bowl of your hand or stand mixer, place the mascarpone cheese. Afterward, beat for two minutes at medium speed until smooth.
- After that, make sure to turn the mixer to a low speed, gradually add the powdered sugar until fully incorporated. Increase speed to medium once the powder combines with the cheese and mix for a minute. Then, constantly utilize a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl.
- Then, mix in the vanilla extract and turn the mixer on medium-high speed.
- Adding vanilla extract
- Now, gradually pour the heavy cream into the mixer. I recommend you pour in by part to avoid unnecessary splattering. Again, do not forget to scrape the bowl.
- As the mixture mixes with the heavy cream, it will start to take shape and thicken. Be careful, and do not over-mix the heavy cream.
- Once the frosting takes shape, turn the mixer off. After that, perform a whisk test by dunking the whisk attachment into the frosting and flipping it upside down. The frosting should keep its shape to form a nice peak. However, if it does not, continue mixing the frosting at high speed for thirty seconds intervals.
- Finally, if you achieved the desired peak, transfer the filling in a piping bag with a piping tip. You may refrigerate, or use it as a filling immediately.
Chocolate Mascarpone Frosting Recipe
It’s super easy to make chocolate mascarpone frosting. The only ingredients you need for this recipe are:
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder (unsweetened is best)
- 2/3 cup of powdered sugar
- 8oz of mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup of heavy cream, cold
Now all you need to do is:
- Gather all of the ingredients you need for this recipe. Before you begin, sift both the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. This step is important in obtaining a smooth frosting, so be sure to do this.
- Grab a mixing bowl and add the following ingredients: powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and mascarpone cheese. Mix well on a medium speed unto completely incorporated. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl as you go. It should take around 1-2 minutes to combine.
- Gradually pour in the heavy cream and increase the speed as you go. Keep mixing until you reach the desired consistency. I find that the best texture is stiff peaks. Stiff peaks will hold firm when lifted. Be sure not to overwhip. Overwhipping leaves to an uneven texture.
- Use it immediately on your cake for the best results. Or place it in the refrigerator in an airtight container, until ready to use. Enjoy!
Mascarpone Cream Cheese Filling Recipe
To make a mascarpone filling with cream cheese, it’s easy to do, and above all, absolutely delicious. The only ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are:
- 8oz of softened cream cheese
- 8oz of softened mascarpone cheese
- 1 3/4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Now all you need to do is:
- Gather all of the ingredients you need and sift the powdered sugar before you begin.
- Grab a bowl and add the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, salt, and mascarpone. Beat well at a high speed. You should do this until the frosting becomes light and fluffy. This should take several minutes.
- If you’re preparing this in advance, be sure to refrigerate it until you need to use it. And let your frosting filling sit out for around 15 minutes before you use it. Enjoy!
Can You Color Mascarpone Cake Filling?
Of course! Mascarpone cake filling is easy to color. However, it’s always best to use gel food coloring when coloring this frosting. This is because it doesn’t add additional liquid to the recipe. Plus, gel food colorings are often more vibrant in color too. You’ll only need around 1-2 drops of food coloring to color your mascarpone cake filling.
What is the Nutrition of Mascarpone Cake Filling?
You may be wondering what the nutrition is for mascarpone frosting. On the average cupcake, the frosting has the following nutritional value:
- Calories: 95
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 1g
I hope this post has given you an idea of how to make mascarpone cake filling. There are a few ways you can make this, and it’s perfect for a selection of baked goods; especially cakes. Do you have any tips or tricks when it comes to making mascarpone cake filling? If so, please feel to let me know in the comments below. Sharing is caring!
Zarah is an experienced pastry chef whose creations have delighted countless customers. With a passion for baking, Zarah has developed a unique style that combines classic techniques with modern flavors. Her desserts are consistently crafted with the finest ingredients, and her attention to detail is evident in the stunning and delectable results. Zarah has a wealth of experience in the pastry kitchen, and loves to share her knowledge with others. Whether it is teaching a class or creating a custom cake for a special occasion, Zarah is committed to making sure every customer is satisfied.