Last Updated on December 18, 2022
Adding chocolate chips to cake mix would be the most satisfying and delicious dessert you can ever make. Besides, it is incredibly moist. And the best part is that it begins with a box of yellow cake mix.
Essentially, cake mixes are exceptionally moist. Nonetheless, adding other ingredients to it can greatly enhance a regular cake that everyone will enjoy. Not only that but also it gives an excellent base. So with that, there are various recipes you can refer to when making a gorgeous cake with chocolate chips.
How To Keep Chocolate Chips From Sinking
It would help to use mini chocolate chips instead of using regular-sized chocolate chips. The main reason is that they will not sink to the bottom of the cake layers easily. Although using regular-sized chocolate chips will still be delectable, they will not appear as gorgeous. Likewise, toss them in a tiny amount of flour. Then, adding them to the cake batter will not make a big difference.
The best option is to use mini chocolate chips because they are the appropriate add-ins in a thicker cake batter. In addition to that, they are super light, which leads to the best results. Hence, use more mini chocolate chips called for in the recipe if you desire a more chocolatey cake.
What You Will Need On Adding Chocolate Chips To Cake Mix
- Box yellow cake mix
- ½ cup of cake flour
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of water
- 3pcs of eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon of Canola Oil
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoon
- Rubber spatula
- Hand or stand mixer
- 8" round cake pans
- Parchment paper
- Wire rack
Step By Step Instructions
Before anything else, preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, grease and line the cake pan with parchment paper.
Afterward, prepare the bowl of your hand or stand mixer, attached with a whisk attachment. Then, beat in the cake mix, cake flour, sugar, and kosher salt. Make sure to beat till all the ingredients incorporate well.
Then in another bowl, whisk in the sour cream, eggs, water, and vanilla.
Next, at low speed, gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture at medium speed. Do not forget to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl using a rubber spatula. Mix in until the cake batter incorporates thoroughly.
Now drop in all the mini chocolate chips and fold them in the batter evenly.
Afterward, pour the batter into the greased pans and bake it in the preheated oven for twenty to thirty minutes. Use a skewer to check and poke the center. Make sure to check if it comes out clean since it is done if it does; however if you see crumbs stuck on the stick, it needs more time.
Finally, allow the cake to cool on a wire rack fully. Decorate with frosting if desired. Keep refrigerated until five days.
Servings and Preparation Time for Chocolate Chips in Cake Batter
How to Make Brownies From Cake Mix Without Chocolate Chips?
While chocolate chips can be a delicious addition to your baking, it's possible to make chocolate brownies from a cake mix, without the use of chocolate chips. Let's take a look at how to go about doing this.
For brownies without chocolate chips from a boxed cake mix, you'll need 1 box of chocolate cake mix, 2 eggs, and ⅓ cup of vegetable oil (or melted butter).
- Now all you need to do is prepare by preheating your oven to 350F and lining a baking pan with parchment paper, or greasing.
- Grab a bowl and add the vegetable oil (or butter) and eggs together.
- In a separate bowl, add the cake mix and then add the oil mix.
- Combine ingredients entirely and then pour the brownie batter into your lined pan.
- Bake in the center of your preheated oven for around 15-20 minutes. If you like a gooey brownie, stick to the lower time and if you like a crisp brownie, stick to the higher time.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly before serving.
How Do You Make a Chocolate Chip Mug Cake?
Mug cakes are one of my favorite sweet treats as they're easy to make, don't require much effort, and don't involve a lot of washing and tidying up!
The ingredients you'll need for a chocolate chip mug cake are ¼ cup of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon of baking powder, a dash of salt, 3 tablespoons of milk, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips of your choice.
- Now all you need to do is add the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder to a mug and mix well.
- Now add the milk, vanilla extract, and melted butter.
- Once the batter is smooth, add the chocolate chips and ensure they're evenly distributed.
- Place in the microwave on high and cook for around 1-2 minutes.
- The cake should be springy once ready.
- Leave to cool for around a minute before enjoying.
Can You Make Cake Pops With White Chocolate Chips?
Of course! While some people use candy melts to create the coating for cake pops, you can use regular white chocolate chips if you'd prefer.
The ingredients you'll need to make them are 1 box of white cake mix, 2 tablespoons of vanilla frosting, 12 oz of white chocolate chips, and 1 ½ teaspoons of shortening. Now all you need to do is bake the cake as per the instructions and trim the outer layer of the cake.
- Crumble the rest of the cake and add the frosting to the crumbled cake shape the cake into balls using your hands and place them into your cake pop former.
- Melt a quarter of your white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and dip your cake pop sticks into the chocolate and place them into your cake balls.
- Place on a baking sheet and then freeze your cake pops for around 15 minutes.
- While they're chilling, melt the rest of your chocolate and then add the shortening and mix well.
- Now dip the balls into the melted chocolate and decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
- Leave in a Styrofoam block to dry for around an hour.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can You Use Nestle Chocolate Chips For Cake Pops?
I find that Nestle chocolate chips do not tend to melt as well as other chocolate chips. For this reason, we would not advise using them when making cake pops. You'll need your chocolate completely melted and smooth to make the best cake pops, and you can not achieve this easily with Nestle chocolate chips.
Tips and Tricks on Adding Chocolate Chips To Cake Mix
Do not forget to add sour cream to the recipe because it has a high fat content. And it gives additional moisture to the cake. In addition to that, it makes for a thicker cake batter, not to mention it provides a richer flavor.
Cake flour is the best option because its low protein is a perfect addition to cake mixes. Besides, it produces less gluten during the mixing process. As a result, you will make a softer cake with a finer crumb if you use cake flour. As an alternative, use all-purpose flour; it will still appear gorgeous.
Ensure to use light brown sugar since the hint of it corresponds perfectly with cake mixes. Not only that, but also it adds moisture to cakes due to the molasses in the sugar. Occasionally, you need to lessen the quantity of liquid to make up for the addition of brown sugar.
In some cases, make to put the mini chocolate chips into the dry ingredients first. After that, blend them with the wet ingredients. Because of that, when you combine the dry and wet ingredients, make sure to do it fast yet delicately. With that, make sure to use a spatula. Then, instantly pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
Adding Chocolate Chips To Cake Mix
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoon
- 8″ Round Cake pans
- Parchment paper
- Wire rack
- Before anything else, preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, grease and line the cake pan with parchment paper.
- Afterward, prepare the bowl of your hand or stand mixer, attached with a whisk attachment. Then, beat in the cake mix, cake flour, sugar, and kosher salt. Make sure to beat till all the ingredients incorporate well.
- Then in another bowl, whisk in the sour cream, eggs, water, and vanilla.
- Next, at low speed, gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture at medium speed. Do not forget to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl using a rubber spatula. Mix in until the cake batter incorporates thoroughly.
- Now drop in all the mini chocolate chips and fold them in the batter evenly.
- Afterward, pour the batter into the greased pans and bake it into the preheated oven for twenty to thirty minutes. Use a skewer to check and poke the center. Make sure to check if it comes out clean since it is done if it does; however if you see crumbs stuck on the stick, it needs more time.
- Finally, allow the cake to cool on a wire rack fully. Decorate with frosting if desired. Keep refrigerated until five days.
Zarah is an experienced pastry chef whose creations have delighted countless customers. With a passion for baking, Zarah has developed a unique style that combines classic techniques with modern flavors. Her desserts are consistently crafted with the finest ingredients, and her attention to detail is evident in the stunning and delectable results. Zarah has a wealth of experience in the pastry kitchen, and loves to share her knowledge with others. Whether it is teaching a class or creating a custom cake for a special occasion, Zarah is committed to making sure every customer is satisfied.